Monday, July 22, 2013

My Experiment with Apple Cider Vinegar



Lately I've been reading a lot of articles about the many benefits of apple cider vinegar. It's being touted as a a beneficial natural product for everything from weight loss to diabetes, not to mention dog care and home cleaning. Intrigued with the growing amount of information out there, I decided to do a little research myself and see if this was something I should add to my daily routine. After all, I'm looking to make some big changes this last half of 2013 and from what I've been reading, this was right up my alley!

While ACV (apple cider vinegar) can help with repelling fleas on your dog, wart removal, and a multitude of skin issues, I decided that I would just concentrate on the benefits of drinking it (rather than applying it topically on me or my dog (I figured it wasn't fair to subject my poor dog to my 2013 experiments!).

One very important note:
Only use raw organic ACV as it is the 'mother' of the vinegar. The ‘mother’ is made up of strand-like enzymes of connected protein molecules with living nutrients and bacteria. Clear vinegar is processed and doesn’t have any of the benefits that raw ACV has. There are different brands out there but I just bought the organic unfiltered Sprouts store brand.

So, every morning before breakfast, I drink a big 16 oz glass of this concoction:
12 oz. water
4 oz. cranberry juice
1 tablespoon ACV

Be sure to always dilute when when using this vinegar. It is highly acidic and can upset your stomach and damage tooth enamel if taken straight.

I have to admit, the first few days were a bit difficult. The taste definitely takes some getting used to, but after only 3 days, I was really enjoying it. I'm not sure why, but I actually looked forward to this drink. I felt like it was hydrating my body better than just plain water. I'm not sure if that's just wishful thinking or not, but I really felt good about drinking it.

Here is a summary of some of the benefits I've read regarding ACV:
  • ACV may help with weight loss by breaking down fats so that your body can use them rather than store them. There have been studies that obese people drinking ACV for 12 weeks saw significant decrease in body fat. It's hard to tell if there are other factors at play here or not.
  • ACV helps to balance your entire inner body system. The body constantly strives to achieve a state of equilibrium. ACV helps the body maintain a healthy alkaline pH level. Research shows that higher acid levels (lower pH level) leads to a lack of energy and higher incidences of infection.
  • As part of balancing the body's pH, ACV creates an overall detoxification of the body. Research shows that it can help stimulate cardiovascular circulation and help detoxify the liver. May help improve bowel irregularity and helps to remove toxins from the body at a faster rate.
  • ACV is rich in natural enzymes that can help rid your body of candida -- yeasts that are attributed to thrush in humans. Candida also is blamed for creating symptoms of fatigue, poor memory, sugar cravings, and yeast infections.
  • It can help regulate blood pressure and reduce bad cholesterol.
So, I started  my experiment last week. I'll continue to report on my progress and if I notice any changes.


Disclaimer – Due to the lack of supporting research, apple cider vinegar cannot be recommended for treatment or prevention of any health problems. Please consult with your health care provider before taking any home remedies or supplements. I’m just sharing my experience and research. My experience may be different from yours.

No comments: